So people asked me to put together a tutorial of how I made my quidditch uniform. I want to preface this a few comments.
1. This was for self enjoyment. I made it to make myself happy, no intentions to sell/replicate it so I apologize for any parts you find confusing.
2. I don’t sew. I’m a knitter by trade so I’m comfortable with making things, but not fabric. So the way I did things may not make sense. I have NEVER made a garment before. Ever. Not even a pillowcase.
3. I really encourage anyone who makes this to go with your intuition. Change it! Add to it! Make it your own.
- 3 yards of main color (yellow)
- 1 yard of contrasting color (black)
- 1 roll of thick ribbon (black)
- Sewing machine
- Thread (both in black and yellow)
Measurements: I’m 5’5 around 150 lbs for sizing help. I tend to wear a medium in everything.
I over bought the fabric. I was scared I wouldn’t have enough. In the end I was left with a few scraps.
Although it was not my intention the yellow fabric was held double. You could see the black through the yellow a bit, and I didn’t want that. Although having the two layers of fabric may have made it more sturdy. ( when doing any of the other houses you probably won’t face the same problem as the secondary colors are lighter)
My first step was to fold the yellow in half. Then quarters. This ensured that both halves of the garment would be equal.
I measured my torso (I have a weirdly long torso!) then marked it off on the fabric. Then cut the square out.
Basically you cut one corner out of the non-folded side. This part will become the front of the shirt. SO SAVE IT.
Then you open it up, still with the yellow layered. Lay the black over the bottom, large rectangle. Hem all of the edges together.
Then cut a slit down the center and hem off those edges.
Then place the front piece on top, and sew the shoulders up.
Now it is like a smock! So at this point I sewed D-rings on the front and back and clipped them together on either side.
The finishing pieces were all hand sewn on, the number, the “pocket”. The letters were iron on letters from the store.
AGAIN, I’m not a seamstress, so this isn’t going to be super clear, but it is the best I could do.