Nautical Love

This has been a long time coming. Our dear Fifi was married this past June. Their wedding was to take place in a scenic, beautiful, tiny town by the sea. The bride & groom rented a few houses right on the water, providing many beautiful pictures for the fun leading up to the wedding.

I knew from the moment they were engaged I wanted to create something they could love for the rest of their lives that would subtly remind them of their wedding day. Due to the nautical aspect of their wedding, whale themed, I wanted to stick with that theme.

I began playing with the idea of signal flags, traditionally used for communication between boats, and now is more decorative. Once I discovered the date & location of the wedding I began playing around with the flags. With grid paper and colored pencils I started playing around. I knew I was going to include the following words & numbers

  • FIONA (5)
  • ALEX (4)
  • 06 13 (4)
  • LITTLE (6)
  • COMPTON (7)

The difficulty began for me when some of the words were an even number of letters, and the others odd. This meant I would need to have an offset grid. After many starts and stops I came up with this idea.

My original plan was to knit each flag in super chunky yarn, then sew them together, and back it. I made 5 flags before I realized it wasn’t going to work.

So back to the drawing table I went. Although I had never sewn something more intense then the napkins I made for Fiona’s shower, I decided to make a quilt. With zero quilt making experience.

I took a mug rug class at my local stitch shop. It was lovely for several reasons, one of them being that it let me learn the basics of everything quickly.

IMG_8671

I then did some *gasp* math to figure out how much fabric to buy. Easy since I decided for each flag to be a perfect square, just a lot of LxW/2 etc. I then was able to figure out how much fabric in each color to buy. (I still overbought out of paranoia). Originally I thought to have the flags touch, but it wasn’t visually clear. So I put strips in between each.

Then I put the flags together in strips, line by line. Then I attached the lines together, trimmed the outside. Then I stitched in the ditch to attach the back to the front. The original plan was for this to be a twin sized blanket. It’s a queen now.

IMG_8760

I can’t wait to make my next quilt!

Screen Shot 2015-08-11 at 9.44.01 AM

XOXO Hannah

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s